Sunday, August 24, 2014

Penstemon Water Coloring

These are a collection of penstamon watercolor paintings that our classroom made for our school's silent auction.  Penstemons are a native wildflower that grows around Tucson.  This would work well with any type of flower. 
In my opinion, it's the similarity and the contrast between the pictures that make them so striking!  We were very fortunate to have a parent that was a wood worker and was happy to make us two wood walls hangings that we glued the individual watercolors onto. The pictures were glued onto the wood blocks within the frame and the individual blocks are all different widths.
To keep all the colors from blending together, we made these in steps.  The first step was to draw a picture of the wildflower with a sharpie.  I asked the children what they noticed about the flowers and its parts while they were drawing. Then in stages I gave them the colors, which is how they ended up not all becoming brown! 
First I gave them pinks in a few different shades and introduced the words hues, and shades, and had them notice the differences and similarities in the colors.  I asked them what part of their flower was pink and let them paint until the were ready for the green shades.  Then they were given about three different shades of green, when they where done, they have three shades of blues/teals for the background.
When making an item for an auction, as a teacher, I am always conflicted with the process vs. product dilemma.  I normally strongly believe in process rather than the product or outcome.  However, for pieces like this that you sell to parents you really do want a product, right?  I tried to make it more open ended by giving them a variety of shades and not telling them where to put the colors, but encouring them to notice it on their own. 






I even made color copies and laminated a poster for my classroom to keep.


No comments:

Post a Comment